This improved process will become active on Monday, May 29.
Whether you regularly travel or you're gone for a week on vacation, you can let Clara know how to schedule during these times. While we are constantly making updates so that Clara can support everyone's use cases, following these guidelines will improve Clara's ability to schedule accurately right away.
NOTE — If you are changing locations and this changes your timezone, then Clara will translate your preferred meeting times as they were set in your regular time zone. For example, if you are regularly available for coffee in New York 8am -5pm Eastern, then when you travel to San Francisco Clara will convert that to 5am -2pm Pacific. Product features for handling significant time zone changes and preference shifts due to this are on our roadmap.
There are three ways you can tell Clara high-level information about when you're unavailable or at a new location for days at a time. You can use any of them, or all of them together:
1. Tell Clara in each meeting request if you know you will be traveling. For example, “Clara find a time for Joe and I to grab coffee while I'm in New York next Thursday.” We recommend this as a best practice even when using the two below methods.
2. Email Clara with specific times or days that are impacted and Clara will remember for all scheduling requests during those times. Clara may not be able to remember every nuance about your travel schedule, but she will remember the basics like which days you're out and where you'll be.
3. Create an all-day event on your calendar for Clara to use. Clara is only able to use information in the event subject line. Clara is not able to see longer event descriptions or location fields within invites. To provide you with the most flexibility on internal versus Clara-calendar management, these are all-day event subject lines that Clara currently understands and below are several examples that may help:
- DNS — This stands for Do Not Schedule, and Clara will not schedule any meetings for you on this day. Use this to indicate any reason that you may be out of office, on vacation, taking paid time off, at a conference where you can't meet with people, or other reasons when you are not taking meetings.
- Travel (Location) — you are traveling to (Location), and are willing to take any type of meeting that makes sense. Clara may book virtual meetings with anyone per your usual preferences and in-person meetings with people that share your location. You need to tell Clara where to host this meeting unless you have default meeting locations for (Location) already established, and please read the NOTE above about timezone handling.
- All other all-day events will be ignored, and not taken into account for scheduling.
If you add an all-day event for DNS or Travel to your calendar and there are existing conflicting events, Clara will not automatically reschedule for you. If you notice these conflicts just send a note to Clara, and she'll get started on rescheduling right away. For example, “Clara I'll be traveling next Friday and just added an all-day travel event to my calendar. Please reschedule all meetings currently on Friday to be next week instead.”
|All-day Event Subject Line||Clara Action|
|DNS (vacation)||Clara will not schedule any meetings for this day. Clara does not mention why you are out, only that you are unavailable for meeting.|
|DNS (Auckland)||Clara will not schedule any meetings for this day. Clara does not mention why you are out, only that you are unavailable for meeting.|
|DNS||Clara will not schedule any meetings for this day.|
|Travel (San Francisco)||You are traveling to San Francisco from your usual office, and Clara mentions this if needed for in-person meetings. Virtual meetings may be setup with anyone based on your preferences, and in-person meetings will be in San Francisco. Please see above NOTE on timezone handling.|
|Reminder: Garbage day||Clara will schedule events on this day without asking you.|
|Mary Bday!!||Clara will schedule events on this day without asking you.|
|New Years in Auckland||Clara will schedule events on this day without asking you.|
|PTO||Clara will schedule events on this day without asking you.|
|Vacation||Clara will schedule events on this day without asking you.|
|Out of Office||Clara will schedule events on this day without asking you.|